Ethos and Approach at Redbridge Primary School
At Redbridge Primary School, we are dedicated to providing a high-quality curriculum in art, craft, and design that nurtures our students’ passion for a subject that is intellectually stimulating and creatively enriching. Our Art curriculum is carefully designed to facilitate the development of essential skills, with clear progression across different year groups.
Drawing, painting, and sculpture serve as the foundation of our Art curriculum, while we also incorporate opportunities for printmaking, multimedia, and other artistic techniques throughout the program. Each unit of work is centered around an influential artist who serves as a source of inspiration. We intentionally select a diverse range of artists from various countries around the world, each with their own unique artistic style.
By exposing our students to different artists and their works, we aim to broaden their artistic horizons, foster cultural appreciation, and encourage individual artistic expression. Through this comprehensive and engaging approach, our Art curriculum cultivates creativity, critical thinking, and a deep appreciation for the power of visual arts.
What We Teach
- Impressionism: Exploring the use of light and color to capture fleeting moments in nature and everyday life
- Cubism: Investigating the fragmentation and geometric forms in art
- Abstract Expressionism: Engaging with expressive and non-representational forms of art
- Pop Art: Examining popular culture and consumerism through vibrant colors and bold imagery
- Surrealism: delving into the world of dreams and the subconscious
- Environmental Art: Exploring the intersection of art and the environment
Progression of Skill
We have provided a breakdown of our Art syllabus to help highlight the skills we aim to teach students across the year groups.
We have provided a breakdown of expected knowledgebase which we will instil into students across the Art syllabus.